Is Crown Lengthening Painful?
Crown lengthening is a surgical procedure involving removing gum tissue and bone to expose more of a tooth’s surface. While crown lengthening surgery is performed under anesthesia to minimize pain, patients can experience discomfort during recovery.
It is common to experience pain, swelling, and uneasiness in the first few days following the procedure. However, these symptoms can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers.
While crown lengthening can be uncomfortable, following your dentist’s instructions carefully can help minimize pain and optimize healing. Most patients can return to normal activities within a few days to a week following the procedure.
Crown lengthening before and after: What to expect?
Crown lengthening is commonly used to prepare teeth for crown fitting. Knowing what to expect before and after the procedure is essential for crown lengthening.
Before the Procedure
Before your crown lengthening procedure, your dentist will thoroughly examine the best approach for your needs. They may take X-rays to assess the health of your teeth and gums and determine the procedure’s extent. You may also have a consultation with a periodontist.
Usually, dentists provide detailed instructions on preparing for the procedure. They might ask you not to eat or drink anything some hours before the procedure. You must also arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure, as you may be sleepy from anesthesia.
During the Procedure
Crown lengthening is typically performed under local anesthesia, which numbs the affected area of your mouth. Your dentist will make incisions in your gum tissue to expose the tooth’s surface and remove any excess gum tissue or bone. Depending on the extent of the procedure, you may need stitches to close the incisions.
After the Procedure
After your crown lengthening procedure, you must follow your dentist’s instructions carefully to promote healing and reduce the risk of complications. You may experience some pain, swelling, and discomfort for some days. Your dentist may prescribe pain medication to manage discomfort.
You can begin normal activities within a few days to a week. However, your dentist will provide specific instructions on what to avoid and when you can resume your normal routine.
By understanding what to expect before and after the procedure, you can be better prepared to manage pain and promote healing. If you have any questions or concerns about crown lengthening, discuss them with your dentist.
What is the crown-lengthening recovery process?
The crown-lengthening recovery process is usually straightforward if you follow your dentist’s instructions carefully. It can vary depending on the individual, the extent of the procedure, and any complications that may arise.
Follow the below-listed tips for better recovery –
- It is important to take any medications as prescribed and not exceed the recommended dose. Your dentist will provide you with proper instructions, whether it be a prescription if needed or over-the-counter medications.
- Applying ice packs or cold compresses can help relieve any pain, swelling, or discomfort after your procedure.
- Your dentist will often recommend a soft, bland diet for the first few days, and to avoid any extremes such as hot or spicy foods.
- Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential during the recovery process. Using a saltwater solution several times a day is best recommended to reduce the chance of bacterial infection and to promote healing.
- In some cases, your dentist may also recommend a special mouthwash or provide other specific instructions on caring for your mouth, on a personalized case basis.
- It is essential to avoid strenuous exercise and other activities that could increase blood flow to the affected area for the first few days.
While recovery can be uncomfortable, carefully following your dentist’s instructions can minimize it. Contact your dentist immediately if you experience any strange symptoms or complications during recovery.
Enhance Your Oral Health and Appearance with Crown Lengthening
Crown lengthening is not just a cosmetic procedure; it improves oral health and prevents future dental problems.
Our Langhorne Dentist at Miracle Dental uses the latest techniques and technology to provide safe, effective crown-lengthening treatment in Southampton. Contact us to get healthier teeth and a beautiful smile.