Do’s and Don’ts After Getting a Dental Crown
Dental crowns are custom-made restorations that cover damaged or weakened teeth, providing strength, protection, and aesthetic appeal. Proper oral care is essential for maintaining a dental crown’s longevity and functionality. Whether you’ve just received a crown or are considering getting one, it’s crucial to understand the do’s and don’ts of post-crown care.
By following dental crown aftercare guidelines, you can ensure the success of your dental crown and enjoy a healthy smile for years to come
Dental Crowns Do’s and Don’ts
|Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly, and taking special precautions to clean around the crown area.
|Avoid excessive force or pressure while brushing or flossing to prevent the crown’s dislodging.
|Follow your dentist’s instructions for post-treatment care, including any prescribed medications or special oral rinses.
|Avoid postponing or skipping dental appointments; regular professional care is vital for the crown’s longevity, stability, and oral health.
|Maintain a balanced diet, limiting sugary and acidic foods and beverages that can cause tooth decay or damage the crown.
|Refrain from smoking after the permanent crown or using tobacco products, as they can stain the crown and negatively impact oral health.
|Wear a nightguard to protect the crown and natural teeth if you have a teeth-grinding or clenching habit.
|Do not chew on hard or sticky foods that can damage or dislodge the crown. Avoid biting on non-food items like pens, fingernails, or ice, as it can stress the crown unnecessarily.
|Inform your dentist promptly if you experience discomfort or pain or if the crown is loose or unstable.
|Do not attempt to adjust or fix the crown yourself; seek professional assistance from your dentist.
Remember, these guidelines are general recommendations. Your dentist may provide specific instructions based on your unique case and dental crown type. For instance, care tips from a Porcelain ceramic crown may vary from permanent crown aftercare. It’s essential to consult with your dentist for personalized aftercare instructions.
Yes, you can generally drink after getting a crown. However, be thoughtful about the type of beverages you consume and the temperature at which you drink them.
- Drink plenty of water to maintain good oral health and hydration. Opt for beverages at a moderate temperature.
- If you have a temporary crown, avoid consuming beverages that may stain it. It’s a good idea to practice moderation with highly pigmented beverages.
- If you have a particularly sensitive area, using a straw can help minimize direct contact between the beverage and the crown.
- Don’t have alcohol at least 48 to 72 hours after getting crowns. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption, as it can have drying effects.
- Avoid beverages with excessive sugar, which can contribute to tooth decay. Consume them in moderation or opt for sugar-free alternatives.
- Avoid carbonated drinks, which can sometimes cause discomfort or sensitivity around the crown area due to gas release.
It’s always best to consult your dentist for personalized advice regarding drinking after getting a crown.
Can you eat after the crown?
Yes, you can eat after getting a dental crown. However, it’s important to be cautious about the types of foods you consume to protect your new crown and ensure its longevity.
- Stick to soft foods for initial 24-36 hours. In the first few days after getting a crown, eating soft foods that don’t require much chewing is recommended.
- Try chewing your food on the side opposite the newly crowned tooth if possible. This helps to avoid placing excessive pressure on the crown during the initial healing period.
- Avoid eating anything at least 60 minutes after getting a crown.
- Refrain from eating chewy and hard foods that can put excessive pressure on the crown and damage them.
It is best to follow your dentist’s instructions about dietary guidelines based on your own specific case.
Get a Picture-Perfect Smile with Dental Crowns
With dental crowns from Miracle Dental, you can achieve a radiant smile whether you have damaged or discolored teeth. Our expert dentist for Dental crowns utilizes the latest techniques and premium materials to create customized crowns that enhance your teeth’ aesthetics and functionality. Contact To Miracle Dental for crowns to schedule your personalized consultation.